Thursday 19 June 2014

Colombia: Embrace Martha's spirit and her fight

#uNDC14 Falkirk's Ruth Young urged Conference to embrace Colombian trade unionist Martha Diaz's "spirit and her fight" and called for continued support for Justice for Colombia.

In yesterday's briefing we reported that Colombia is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a trade unionist.  Conference responded with an overwhelming show of solidarity as it pledged to continue to support Justice for Colombia politically and economically and to encourage all branches to affiliate.

Our union will also lobby politicians at all levels to support the peace and justice movement in Colombia.

Conference heard from Northern Ireland about their peace process work in Colombia. It also heard from Northern Region's Clare Williams who has been campaigning for and alongside Colombian colleagues for many years.

For many, the most moving contribution came from Falkirk young member Ruth Young. She told delegates: "I would just like to say how inspired I was to meet Martha Diaz this week at the international seminar.

"I will be honest, I felt very small and insignificant in her presence. However, it further convinced me to get up here to speak as I'm very lucky to live in a country where I can be a trade unionist without fearing attack or death - the worst I have to worry about is that magic button the president has up there.

"Each year I've attended Conference we have discussed Colombia and I feel proud to be part of a trade union that is so heavily involved and vocal about international issues."

Ruth spoke of the atrocities committed against Martha Diaz and confessed: "Sadly, I don't know if I'd be as strong as her if I was in the same position.

"However, what I can do in the here and now is speak up for the people of Colombia and other countries where citizens are persecuted for wanting a better life, better working conditions and a better future."

To applause from delegates, Ruth concluded: "I say to Martha Diaz, thank you. For genuinely inspiring me and for your courageous fight. A strong woman like Martha should be an inspiration not just to me but to every member in this hall. Embrace her spirit and her fight."

The full text of Ruth's speech follows:-

“I would just like to say how inspired I was to meet Martha Diaz this week at the international seminar.

I will be honest, I felt very small and insignificant in her presence. However, it further convinced me to get up here to speak as I'm very lucky to live in a country where I can be a trade unionist without fearing attack or death - the worst I have to worry about is that magic button the president has up there (my Twitter followers will back me up on that).

Each year I've attended Conference we have discussed Colombia and I feel proud to be part of a trade union that is so heavily involved and vocal about international issues.

I am pleased to see continued support of Justice for Colombia and recognition of the fantastic work that they do.

Conference you are well aware of the statistics. You don't need me to tell you that Colombia is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a trade unionist.

Martha told us at the international seminar of the horrendous atrocities that have been committed against her, her family and friends for the 'crime' of being a trade unionist.

Sadly, I don't know if I'd be as strong as her if I was in the same position.

However, what I can do in the here and now is speak up for the people of Colombia and other countries where citizens are persecuted for wanting a better life, better working conditions and a better future.

We must continue to support Justice for Colombia both politically and economically as we must continue to add to the vices that speak up for the people of Colombia.

Conference, take a minute to think about where you are right now. You are very lucky to be in this hall. You have not had to worry this morning that your attendance here might put your like at risk.

I think we'll all admit that our biggest worried in attending is worrying if we've missed any sunshine and the fact that those chairs of ours are more than a little uncomfortable. The people of Colombia deserve the opportunity to feel as safe and secure as we do.

We've said it before - together we are stronger! Let's not just have that apply to UNISON and our members in the UK. Let's continue to support our comrades worldwide. Conference salutes every single one of them and stands alongside them.

I say to Martha Diaz, thank you. For genuinely inspiring me and for your courageous fight. A strong woman like Martha should be an inspiration not just to me but to every member in this hall. Embrace her spirit and her fight.”

No comments:

Post a Comment